Beer Battered Calamares
* 4 cups water
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 tsp white vinegar
* 1 kilo squid (pusit), sliced into bite-sized rings
* 1 piece egg
* ½ cup water
* 1 can beer
* 2 ½ cups flour
* oil (for deep frying)
1) In a pot, boil water; add salt and white vinegar. Bring to a boil. Add calamares rings and stir; blanch for no more than a minute. Take calamares out of the pot and drain. Transfer to a bowl.
2) In a small bowl, beat egg. Add in 1/2 cup water. Pour mixture onto calamares, making sure each piece is coated.
3) In a large bowl, combine beer and flour. Whisk well. Set aside.
4) In a plate, put 1 cup flour and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
5) Heat cooking oil in a deep frying pan. Using tongs, pick a piece of calamares, dip into beer batter, dredge in flour-cayenne mixture, and deep fry in oil for about a minute. Do not overcook or the calamares will be tough and rubbery.
6) Repeat for the rest of the calamares. Drain on paper towel. Serve with your choice of dip.