Italian Fish Stew
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* 2 tbsp white onions, chopped
* 1 ½ tbsp garlic, chopped
* 1 bay leaf
* 1/3 cup carrots, diced
* 1/3 cup celery, sliced
* 1 tbsp tomato paste
* 1/3 cup white onion (optional)
* 1 can whole tomatoes (use 800 gram can)
* ½ kilo whole lapu-lapu, filleted and cut into 2-inch pieces, head reserved
* ½ cup potatoes, diced
* 1 can white beans (use 400 gram can) , drained and rinsed
* 2 tbsp capers
* ¼ cup black olives, sliced
* 1 ½ fish bouillon cubes
* ½ tsp fresh thyme
* ½ tsp fresh oregano
* 1 tbsp fresh basil
* chopped parsley (to garnish)
1) Heat oil in a pot over medium high heat. Saute onions, garlic, bay leaf, carrots and celery for 1 minute.
2) Add tomato paste; sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Pour in wine, if using, bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer for 1 minute.
3) Add tomatoes and bring to a boil again. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add fish head, if desired, and potatoes. Simmer for 5 minutes.
4) Add fish fillets, white beans, capers and olives; simmer for 5 minutes. Season stew with bouillon cubes, salt and pepper.
5) Turn off heat and gently mix in fresh herbs. Garnish with parsley. Serve hot.