Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Coffee Glaze
* 2 cups milk
* 2 tbsp vinegar
* 2 tsp salt
* 1 (1.3 to 1.5 kilo) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
* 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
* ½ cup yellow cornmeal
* 2 tbsp salt
* 1 tsp white pepper
* 1 tsp cayenne pepper
* 1 tsp onion powder
* 1 tsp garlic powder
* 1 tsp paprika
* corn oil (for frying)
* 6 shots coffee, use espresso
* ½ tsp maple syrup
* ½ tbsp honey
* 2/3 cup catsup
* 2/3 cup butter
1) Pour milk and vinegar into a deep dish; let sit for 5 minutes. Add salt and stir.
2) Place chicken in milk mixture and marinate, covered, for at least 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
3) Make the breading: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until well combined.
4) Heat oil in a deep frying pan to 360◦F. When oil is ready, dip chicken pieces, one at a time, into breading; toss to coat completely. Dip again in milk mixture and toss into breading.
5) Deep fry chicken until golden and reads 165 to 170◦F on a meat thermometer, about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain on a wire rack.
6) Make the sticky coffee glaze: Place all ingredients in a saucepan over medium low heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally for 10 to 15 minutes. Let sauce cool slightly (Sauce will thicken as it cools.) Set aside and keep warm.
7) Toss chicken gently into sticky coffee glaze. (Note: Alternatively, you can drizzle or brush glaze on chicken.)