* 2 tbsp. cooking oil
* 1 medium red onion, sliced
* 2 cloves garlic
* 1 (1-inch) ginger, sliced
* 1 kilo whole chicken, cut into pieces
* 3 ripe tomatoes, sliced
* 1 tbsp. fish sauce (patis)
* 5 cups water
* 3 pieces green chilies (siling pangsigang)
* 1 cup tamarind leaves
* salt (to taste)
* pepper (to taste)
1) In a pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions, garlic and ginger and sauté. Add chicken and cook, until juices run clear. Add tomatoes and let it cook for 5 minutes.
2) Add the fish sauce, stirring occasionally, for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add water. Lower heat, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through.
3) Add green chilies and tamarind leaves. Pour tamarind base powder, stirring to dissolve. Season with salt to taste. Serve warm.