Crispy Spam Musubi
* vegetable oil (to pan- fry)
* 1 (340 gram) can spam, teriyaki flavored, sliced lengthwise into 6 pieces
* 3 cups Japanese rice or short grain white rice
* 6 slices cheddar cheese, cut lengthwise in half
* 3 sheets nori, cut lengthwise in half
* 1 cup all purpose flour
* 1 large egg, beaten
* 1 cup Japanese breadcrumbs
* green onions, chopped (for garnish)
1) Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Pan-fry Spam slices until lightly browned, about 1 minute per side. Drain on paper towels.
2) Layer ¼ cup rice, a cheese strip, a Spam slice, another cheese strip and another ¼ cup rice in a musubi mold (see tip). Press down firmly on musubi to make sure the layers hold. Unmold musubi then wrap with a nori sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 5 more pieces. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3) Heat oil in a deep pan over medium heat. Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs in separate containers. Dredge each musubi in flour, dip in egg, then coat with breadcrumbs. Deep fry until golden brown on all sides, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
4) Slice Spam musubi in half. Garnish with green onions, if desired. Serve immediately.