Shrimp Sinigang Rice
* 650 grams tamarind (sampalok) , fresh, unripe, washed
* fish sauce (patis)
* 150 grams shrimp , medium, trimmed
* 2 tbsp butter
* 1 medium red onion, diced
* 2 cups red rice, cooked
* 1 cup taro (gabi), peeled and diced
* 2 ripe native tomatoes, diced
* 2 cups kangkong leaves, sliced into thin strips; plus more leaves, blanched
* 1 green finger chili (siling pangsigang), minced, plus more for garnish (optional)
1) Make the tamarind stock: Boil tamarind in 4 cups water. Lower heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. Strain using a sieve, pressing tamarind to extract juice, into a saucepan. Add 3 ½ cups water to tamarind sauce. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. (Note: You should have about 4 ½ cups stock.
2) Poach shrimp in tamarind sauce until cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
3) Make the pilaf: Melt butter in a saucepan. Sauté onions until translucent. Add red rice and stir to coat in butter.
4) Add tamarind stock, taro and tomatoes. Simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 40 minutes.
5) Add kangkong and chilies; toss to mix well.
6) Transfer to a serving platter or individual bowls. Top with shrimp, blanched kangkong leaves and chilies.