* 3 tbsp canola oil
* 600 grams chicken, cut into serving pieces
* 1 medium onion, quartered
* 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
* 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
* 3 tbsp shrimp paste, or bagoong alamang
* 2 tsp white vinegar
* 1 tsp white sugar
* 1 to 2 pieces green chilies (siling pangsigang)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
* ½ cup okra, sliced
1) Heat oil in a wok over medium heat. Fry chicken for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until light golden brown in color. Remove chicken from the wok and let drain on paper towels. Option to remove excess oil from pan and just leave about 2 tablespoons.
2) In the same wok, sauté onions, garlic, tomatoes and shrimp paste for 1 to 2 minutes. Pour in the vinegar and let simmer for one minute. Bring the chicken back to the wok, together with the sugar and sili ; mix well. Simmer further if needed. Season to taste. Place cooked chicken on a serving platter. Cook the okra in the same wok for 1 minute then place on top of chicken.