Pork Binagoongan sa Gata
* 1 kilo pork (use pork belly), cubed
* 2 tbsp corn oil
* 6 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1 white onion, minced
* 5 small tomatoes, chopped
* ½ cup shrimp paste (bagoong alamang)
* 3 tbsp vinegar
* 1 ½ tsp sugar
* black pepper (to taste)
* 3 eggplants, sliced diagonally
* ½ cup coconut cream (kakang gata)
1) Place cubed liempo in a stockpot. Cover with water and let boil until tender. Prepare the rest of the ingredients while meat is cooking.
2) Pour corn oil into a hot pan. Sauté garlic and onions until softened. Add tomatoes and cook until softened. Add and stir-fry bagoong until aromatic then put in boiled pork pieces and 1/2 cup of the boiling water used to cook the pork. Bring to a simmer, then add vinegar and sugar. Season with pepper to taste. Add more pork broth if necessary.
3) Add sliced eggplants and coconut cream. Stir. Bring to a boil and simmer until mixture thickens and eggplants are soft, about 10 minutes. Serve with steamed rice.