Crispy Pata With Sauce
* 1 ½ kilo pork pata, whole
* 1 tsp black peppercorns
* 2 tbsp salt
* 1 medium red onion, peeled, quartered
* water, as needed
* 1 ½ L oil, for deep frying, or as needed
* ¼ cup soy sauce
* ¼ cup vinegar
* 1 tbsp sugar
1) Place pata in a large pressure cooker. Cover with enough water to cover about an inch over meat. Add peppercorns, salt and onion. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cover, then lock lid. Lower to a simmer. Pressure-cook for about 40 minutes. Release pressure before opening lid. Test for tenderness.
2) Remove pata from the liquid. Discard liquid, or reserve for another use. Wrap pata in foil, then freeze overnight.
3) When ready to cook, remove pata from the freezer. Remove foil. Heat oil in a deep pot over medium heat. Using large tongs, lower pata slowly in the hot oil. Let fry until browned and crispy. Flip and cook until both sides are equally browned and crispy. Drain on paper towels. Serve with dips.
4) Make the classic dipping sauce: Mix soy sauce, vinegar and sugar in a bowl until dissolved. Stir in 1 small onion, peeled, chopped.