Pastelon (Beef and Sweet Plantain Lasagna)
* 2 to 3 tbsp canola oil
* 10 small saba bananas, sliced lengthwise into ¼-inch thick pieces
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* 1 ½ tbsp garlic longganisa, plus extra chopped parsley to garnish
* 2 tbsp white onions, chopped
* 1/3 cup red tomatoes, native, chopped
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 ½ tsp tomato paste
* 400 grams ground beef
* 2 tsp vinegar
* ½ cup tomato sauce
* 2 tbsp black olives, chopped (optional)
* 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
* 1 tbsp butter, softened
* 2 medium eggs
* ¼ cup milk
* ½ cup cottage cheese
* ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
* parsley, chopped (to garnish)
1) Heat canola oil in a pan over medium heat. Fry bananas until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
2) Heat olive oil in another pan over medium heat. Sauté garlic, onions, tomatoes and bay leaf for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Add ground beef and saute until browned, about 5 to 6 minutes.
3) Add vinegar and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomato sauce and black olives. Simmer until beef is tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add fresh oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool completely.
4) Pre-heat oven to 360°F.
5) Spread butter on a 7×11 inch baking dish. Arrange bananas on the bottom, making one layer, then top with beef mixture, making another layer. Continue layering with bananas and beef mixture, ending with beef.
6) Whisk eggs and milk in a bowl; pour over beef and bananas. Top with cottage cheese and mozzarella. Bake until cheese is melted, about 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer dish to the top rack of the oven during the last 1 to 2 minutes to brown the top. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot.