Italian Christmas Cookies
* ¾ cup butter (softened)
* ½ cup powdered sugar
* ½ cup sugar
* 3 eggs
* 3 cups flour
* ¾ tsp baking powder
* ½ tsp salt
* 1 tsp vanilla
* ½ tsp anise extract
* powdered sugar (extra)
* 2 cups powdered sugar
* 3 tbsp milk
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* sprinkles (Nonpareil)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
3) In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars until creamy.
4) Add eggs, one at a time. Then add the vanilla and anise flavoring.
5) Slowly mix in the flour mixture. Do not over beat.
6) Refrigerate dough for one hour.
7) When ready to bake, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
8) Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Dip the bottomof a small glass into some powdered sugar and press each ball down slightly.
9) Bake for 8-10 minutes.
10) Remove and cool completely.
11) To make the glaze:
12) Sift two cups of powdered sugar in a bowl. Whisk in milk and vanilla.
13) Dip top of each cookie in the glaze. Garnish with some nonpareil sprinkles.
14) Allow glaze to dry before freezing.