* 1 cup whole milk
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 1 vanilla pod, slit lengthwise and seeded or 1 tbsp vanilla extract
* 8 egg yolks
* 1/3 cup sugar, plus extra to sprinkle
1) Pre-heat oven to 325◦F.
2) Place milk, cream and vanilla in a saucepan over low heat. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
3) Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale in color. Slowly add cream mixture and whisk until well combined.
4) Bake in the pre-heated oven until set but centers still jiggle, about 30 to 40 minutes.
5) Remove ramekins from baking pan; let cool completely. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
6) Sprinkle 1 teaspoon sugar on top of each ramekin and caramelize sugar in the broiler or using a blow torch. Serve immediately.
To make Earl Grey crème brûlée: Steep 2 Earl Grey tea bags in hot milk for 1 hour; strain and use milk in step 1.
To make chai latte crème brûlée: Steep 3 cloves, 2 pieces star anise, 1 cinnamon stick, and 5 cardamom pods in hot milk for 30 minutes; strain and use milk in step 1.
To make coconut crème brûlée: Use ½ cup coconut cream and ½ cup heavy cream instead of 1 cup heavy cream in step 1. Steep pandan leaves in hot milk for 30 minutes; strain and use milk in step 1.