Creamy Mushroom Tortellini
* 2 ½ cups all purpose flour, plus extra, for dusting
* 1 tsp salt
* 3 large eggs
* 1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water, for egg wash
* 2 to 3 tbsp salt
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 455 grams, about 5 cups assorted mushrooms (use white button mushrooms and brown cremini mushrooms) , sliced roughly
* ¼ cup onion, chopped
*2 tbsp butter
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* salt and pepper (to taste)
* ½ cup cream cheese, softened at room temperature
* 2 tsp truffle oil, or more , to taste (optional)
* 2 tbsp butter
* ¼ cup white onion, minced
* 2/3 cup heavy or cooking cream
* ¼ tsp salt
* 1/8 tsp white or black pepper
* 1 to 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
* 1 to 2 tsp truffle oil, optional
* 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
1) Make the basic fresh pasta dough: Mix together flour and salt in a bowl then place on a clean worktable.
2) Make a well in the center and add eggs in the center. Gently mix together flour and eggs using a fork and a spoon until a rough dough is formed.
3) Knead manually using the ball of your hands until the dough is smooth. Dust work area with some extra flour, if dough is sticking on some surface.
4) Divide the dough into four equal portions. Roll each into a ball, cover with a damp towel and let rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
5) While dough is resting, make the mushroom filling: Place mushrooms and onions in a bowl of a food processor. Pulse for 4 to 5 times, just until mushrooms and onions are chopped but still chunky.
6) Melt butter and heat oil on a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Sauté half of the mushroom mixture for a few seconds. Add the rest of the mixture and sauté for half a minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl then cool completely.
7) Place softened cream cheese in a bowl. Add cooled mushroom mixture and mix well until combined. Add truffle oil, if using, and mix well. Taste to adjust seasoning. Set aside.
8) To roll the pasta dough, flatten the dough using a rolling pin. Pass dough through a pasta maker two to three times per notch, starting with the highest number (thickest width) and ending with the second to the thinnest or last notch of the pasta maker.
9) Cut the sheets into about 4 inches wide and about 5 to 6 inches long. Place on a flour-dusted sheet pan then cover with a damp towel until ready to use. Repeat with remaining dough.
10) Spoon 1 teaspoon mushroom filling on the center of a disc. Brush egg wash around the edges of each disc, fold in half and press edges gently to seal.
11) Wrap the half moon shape around an index finger and pinch the ends together to seal or slightly bend the tips to make the edges meet and press gently to seal. Cover in damp, clean towel and set aside.
12) Make the cream sauce: Melt butter and heat oil in a medium frying pan. Sauté onions until translucent. Add cream and simmer until sauce slightly thickens. Add parmesan cheese and mix. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add truffle oil, if using. Set aside.
13) Cook tortellini by bringing a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons salt and 1 tablespoon oil. Add tortellini in batches. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Drain pasta using a slotted spoon.
14) Add tortellini to the cream sauce and toss until pasta is well coated with sauce. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with parsley.