Ube Stuffed Suman with Latik
* 500 grams latik rice
* ½ cup ube halaya
* ½ cup macapuno, sweetened, sauce only
* peanuts, crushed (for topping)
* 3 cups coconut milk
* 1 cup brown sugar
1) Soak rice in cold water for at least 6 hours or overnight. Drain rice from the soaking water, rinse and drain again.
2) Prepare a large piece of cheesecloth (katsa) by soaking it in water and wringing out most of the water until just barely damp. Line a steamer with the cheesecloth. Place rice in the steamer and cook over high heat for 20 to 30 minutes or until the rice is tender.
3) Make the latik sauce: Combine coconut milk and sugar in a medium saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring regularly, for 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens and has reduced slightly.
4) Once rice is cooked, immediately transfer to a bowl and add 1 cup of the prepared latik sauce. Mix well to combine.
5) Form rice into balls: Using a small ice cream scooper, take ½ tablespoon of the prepared rice. Stuff with ube halaya and form into balls.
6) Serve suman balls with remaining latik sauce. Top with sweetened macapuno sauce and crushed peanuts, if desired.