(For 6-cup volume deep pan pie pan –9 “or 10” diameter, 2” deep)
* 2 ¼ cups plus ¼ cup chocolate wafer crumbs
* 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
* 38 large marshmallows
* 1 cup half and half
* ½ cup green Crème de Menthe liqueur
* 1 1/8 cups heavy whipping cream
(Ingredients for 4 cup volume traditional or standard pie pan–8 or 9 inch diameter, 1 to ½ inch depth; not deep dish)
* 1 ½ cup plus ¼ cup chocolate cookie crumbs
* ¼ cup unsalted butter25 large marshmallows
* 2/3 cup half and half
* 5 tbsp. crème de menthe
* 1 cup heavy whipping cream
1) To make the crust: butter the pie pan. In a large bowl combine the chocolate wafer crumbs (reserving 1/4 cup for topping) and melted butter. Hand stir until combined (the crumbs will look ‘wet’ but it won’t necessarily be sticking together unless using gluten-free crumbs). Pour crumb mixture into the pie pan. Using the back of a large spoon or fingers, press crumbs into the pie pan evenly on the bottom and sides to form a crust. Place in the freezer.
2) Combine the marshmallows and Half and Half in the top of a double broiler OR in a metal, heat proof bowl placed over a sauce pan of boiling water. Cook, stirring constantly once marshmallows begin to melt, until the marshmallows have melted completely (using a whisk at the end is helpful to ensure the marshmallows are completely liquified). Remove from heat.
3) Add the Crème de Menthe into the marshmallow mixture and stir or whisk to fully combine. The Creme de Menthe may settle in the bowl but will be further incorporated in the last filling step. Allow the mixture to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
4) Using a standing or hand held mixer, whip heavy whipping cream until firm peaks appear. Stir into the green marshmallow mixture. Whisk lightly at the end to ensure the mixture is combined well.
5) Pour into prepared pie crust. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of the crumbs on the top and place in the freezer. Freeze until firm.