Fiesta Chicken Soup
* 1 tbsp. (15 ml) butter
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 diced onion
* 2 tsp. (10 mL) chili powder
* 2 cups (500 mL) chicken stock
* ¼ cup (60 mL) tomato paste
* 2 tbsp. (30 mL) all-purpose flour
* 2 ½ cups (625 mL) milk
* 12 oz. (375 grams) boneless skinless chicken cut into ¾-inch (2 cm) pieces
* 1 cup (250 mL) broken corn tortilla chips (preferably baked)
* 1 cup (250 mL) corn kernels, thawed if frozen
* 1 pinch of salt
* hot pepper sauce
* 1 diced tomato
* ½ cup (125 mL) shredded Canadian Monterey Jack cheese
* chopped fresh coriander
* 1 diced red bell pepper
1) In a pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, red pepper and chili powder; sauté for about 5 min or until softened. Stir in chicken stock and tomato paste and bring to a simmer.
2) Whisk flour into milk and stir into pot; stir in chicken. Cook, stirring often, for 5 to 10 min or until soup is slightly thickened and chicken is no longer pink inside.
3) Stir in tortilla chips and corn; cook for 2 min or until heated through. Season to taste with salt and hot pepper sauce. Sprinkle each serving with tomatoes, cheese and coriander.