Khao Soi (Thai Curry Noodle Soup)
* 1 tsp coriander seeds
* 1 pod green cardamom
* 1 siling labuyo, seeds removed as desired, more to serve
* 1 small red onion, peeled, sliced, more to serve
* 4 cloves garlic
* 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, roughly chopped
* lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
* 1 fresh turmeric (1 inch), peeled
* 1 fresh ginger (1 inch) , peeled
* 1 bunch cilantro stalks, roughly chopped
* 2 pieces chicken (use leg quarters), cut up
* 1 tsp fish sauce (patis)
* ½ cup chicken stock
* 1 cup fresh coconut milk
* 1 pack egg noodles, divided
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
* 1 green lemon, cut into wedges (to serve)
* oil (for frying)
1) In a dry, frying pan, toast coriander seeds and cardamom pod until aromatic. Transfer to a mortar, cool, and then using a pestle, finely grind.
2) In the same mortar, add siling labuyo, onion, garlic, lemongrass, lemon zest, turmeric, ginger, cilantro and salt. Pound with pestle until a paste is formed. Set aside.
3) Heat about 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add paste and sauté until aromatic and begins to color. Add chicken pieces and sear briefly. Add fish sauce and chicken stock. Bring to simmer and cook chicken until cooked through. Pour in coconut milk and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring back to a simmer and reduce liquid until half. Shred chicken pieces and discard bones.
4) Meanwhile , in a wok over medium heat, bring about 1 cup of oil to frying temperature. Fry about a handful of miki noodles until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Set aside. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add remaining noodles to the pot. Cook until just heated through. Drain and divide among 4 bowls.
5) To serve, ladle curry soup over the noodles. Top with crispy noodles, red onion slices, coriander leaves, siling labuyo to taste and lemon wedges.