Soy Glazed Crispy Shrimp
* 1 cup chicken stock (or ¼ chicken bouillon cube dissolved in 1 cup hot water)
* 2 tbsp oyster sauce
* 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
* ½ cup brown sugar
* ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
* 4 cloves garlic, smashed
* 1 tsp sesame oil
* ground black pepper
* ¾ tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tbsp water
* 1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
* vegetable oil (to deep fry)
* 2 cups cornstarch
* ½ cup all-purpose flour
* 1 tsp salt
* ½ tsp ground black pepper
* 1 kilo shrimp (large), peeled and de-veined with tails left on
* 2 large eggs, beaten
* steamed white rice (to serve)
* chopped green onions (to garnish)
1) Make the soy and chili glaze: Combine chicken stock, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar , sweet chili sauce and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
2) Add sesame oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for 30 seconds.
3) Add dissolved cornstarch and cook for 1 minute or until thick. Add sesame seeds. Set aside and keep warm.
4) Heat oil in a deep, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.
5) Combine cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl . Dip a shrimp in beaten egg, letting the excess drip off. Dredge in cornstarch mixture.
6) Gently add shrimp to hot oil. Repeat with remaining shrimp, cooking in batches to avoid overcrowding the pot. Cook for about 1 minute or until coating is crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels.
7) Pack rice in containers, top with shrimp, drizzle with glaze and garnish with green onions.