Chiles Rellenos (Cheese-Stuffed Peppers)
* 1/3 cup corn oil
* 1 onion, medium-sized, chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1/3 cup all purpose flour
* 3 green finger chilies (siling pang sigang), seeded
* 1 ½ cup canned crushed tomatoes
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1 ½ tsp oregano, crushed
* ¼ tsp ground black pepper
* 1 bay leaf
* ground cloves (to taste)
* ground cinnamon, optional (to taste)
* 6 green bell peppers, or poblano chilies
* 170 grams mild cheddar or Monterey jack cheese, shredded or sliced into 6 thin sticks
* 1/3 cup all purpose flour, for dusting, plus 1 tablespoon, sifted
* 6 eggs, separated
* ¾ tsp salt
* 2 cups canola oil
* sour cream, fresh cilantro and cherry tomatoes (to garnish)
1) Make the sauce: Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Sauté onions and garlic until golden and almost caramelized. Add flour; mix until lightly browned. Add chilies and tomatoes. Transfer mixture to a food processor and puree. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir in 5 cups water and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until thick, about 45 minutes. Turn off heat. Keep warm.
2) Roast peppers over an open flame until charred. (Note: You can also use a broiler.) Immediately place peppers in a zip-top bag, seal and steam for 10 minutes. Remove skin. Cut a slit lengthwise down the middle of each pepper; remove core and seeds.
3) Stuff peppers with cheese then dust with flour on all sides. Set aside.
4) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Beat yolks in another bowl with 1 tablespoon flour and salt. Fold yolks into whites.
5) Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Dip pepper in egg mixture and coat well. Fry until golden, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining peppers and egg mixture.
6) Place sauce in a shallow bowl. Place peppers on top. Top with sour cream, cilantro and cherry tomatoes.