Potato and Mushroom Chowder
* 5 strips bacon
* 1 medium onion , chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, chopped
* ½ cup button mushrooms, chopped
* 3 medium potatoes, peeled, cubed
* 1 tbsp all purpose flour
* 1 ½ cup water, or as needed
* 1 (298 gram) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
* 1 (142 gram) can Vienna sausages, drained, chopped
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
1) Cook bacon until crisp in a pot over medium heat. Remove bacon from pot and transfer onto paper towels. Set aside.
2) Return pot to the heat and sauté onion and then garlic in the bacon oil until softened. Add mushrooms and cook until heated through. Add potatoes. Sear potatoes in the hot bacon oil until they just start turning translucent at the edges.
3) Sprinkle in flour, stir to coat potatoes and mushrooms and mix into the bacon oil. While stirring, pour in enough water to cover potatoes. Bring to a boil, then let simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender.
4) Add mushroom soup once potatoes are tender and use a whisk to break up any lumps as the soup heats. Stir in sausages and simmer chowder until just heated through. Season with salt and ground black pepper, to taste. Ladle into bowls and top each with crumbled bacon.