Red Wine Beef Stew
*1 ½ kilos beef (use boneless shin shank), cut into large cubes
* salt (to season)
* ¼ cup olive oil
* ¼ cup butter, plus extra as needed
* 1 large onion, diced
* 1 stick celery, minced
* 1 whole garlic , minced
* 4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
* 1 cup dry red wine
* 1 cup coffee, use brewed coffee
* 1 ½ cup beef stock, plus extra as needed
* 2 pieces bay leaf
* 1 tbsp. olive oil
* 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
* 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
* 2 tbsp. butter (optional)
* ¼ cup all-purpose cream (optional)
1) Season beef with salt and pepper. Heat a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven; add olive oil and butter. Sear beef on all sides. Set aside.
2) In the same pot, sauté onions, celery and garlic. Add flour to make a paste. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons butter if the mixture is too dry. Whisk in red wine and cook until it reduces by half. Add coffee and stock.
3) Return beef to the pot. Add more stock If needed. The beef should be completely covered with liquid. Add bay leaves.
4) Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simme. Cook, partially covered, for about 1 ½ hours or until beef is fork tender and sauce has thickened.
5) Heat oil in a frying pan. Cook carrots and potatoes until browned. Add to the stew and cook until vegetables are tender. Turn off heat. Add 2 tablespoons butter and cream, if using.