Chocolate Ice Cream Cake
* ¼ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
* ¼ cup plus 3 tbsp. hot water
* ½ cup plus 2 tbsp. cake flour
* ½ tsp. baking powder
* ½ tsp. salt
* ¼ cup unsalted butter
* ½ cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
* 1 large egg
* egg yolk
* 1 tsp. vanilla extract
* 2 cups all-purpose cream, chilled
* 4 cups ice cream, rocky road
* ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
* ¼ cup mini marshmallows
* ¼ cup walnuts
1) Make the chocolate cake: Grease and flour a 7-inch springform pan. Line sides with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang.
2) Pre-heat oven to 350◦F.
3) Mix cocoa powder and hot water until well combined. Set aside.
4) Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
5) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until pale and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. Add egg and egg yolk one at a time, beating well and scraping after each addition. Add vanilla extract and mix until well combined. At low speed, add dry ingredients alternately with cocoa mixture, starting with dry ingredients.
6) Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cake cool in the pan on a wire rack, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
7) Make the ice cream layer: Whip cream until fluffy and stiff peaks form.
8) Spread ice cream on top of cake layer. Top with chocolate chips, marshmallows and walnuts. Spread whipped cream on top of ice cream. Make small peaks on the surface with the back of a spoon, if desired.
9) Freeze for at least 4 hours before unmolding, slicing and serving.