“Les Misérables” has finally been adapted to the big-screen, and, to put it simply, it is stunning. The impression that it leaves will be lasting. Yet what issues does it explore? What is the impression that it gives? What is the worldview in “Les Miserables”? There are SPOILERS below.
Natural Law and Human Dignity
One of the most clear themes throughout the movie is the challenge raised in balancing natural rights, natural law, and human dignity. Jean Valjean starts off the movie as a prisoner. He has been imprisoned for 19 years–5 for stealing a loaf of bread, and 14 for trying to escape. These prisoners are essentially slaves. Their personhood is denigrated, and Javert, the Inspector, insists on calling them merely by their numbers. During this scene, the prisoners sing of calling for Jesus to save them, but complain that Jesus has not heard them. Yet God…
It’s been a month long that I haven’t posted a blog entry about my perks of a Bella coupon experience since rarely do I get a chance to use up one. So, yesterday, I used up my Revlon coupon to enjoy a 25% discount off any colors or shades from their lipstick.
I chose one of their lipstick which was the Super Lustrous lippie with a shade of red (my favorite color) and availed of a 25% discount. Lippies are really one of my beauty essentials, being a kikay Bella that I am. I bought this at a department store in Robinson’s Galleria.
I bought the lippie at a discounted price from Php 350 to Php 262.50. I plan to add this to my kikay collection. I’ve just marked another coupon off from my coupon tracker.
This is my first time to blog about my kikay kit and its contents. Being a kikay Bella, I certainly can’t leave home without my cosmetic kit or makeup as it is a must to bring it along with me wherever I go, whether parties, events, tapings/shootings or even a simple bonding with family and friends.
So, here’s what my kikay kit contains:
Of course , no Bella would ever want to leave the house with a pale-looking lip. This is one of the must haves for every kikay Bella . We want our lips to be a bit reddish and kissable.I bought this matte lippie from L.A. Girls at Robinson’s Galleria while strolling around the mall and waiting for my sister to get her hair treatment done.
This eye-shadow palette was just given to me by a friend as a Christmas gift last year. It comes with an eye-shadow applicator.Want to try applying smoky eye type of eye-shadow sooner or later.
I bought this liquid foundation at LCC Mall (Ligao , Albay) for P299 . This was one of the necessities I brought along with me when I attended or watched Mr. Ogie Alcasid’s concert in Legazpi City.
Just like the Deluxe Eyeshadow Palette, this blush on powder was also just given to me as a Christmas present, but by another school friend of mine. Every Bella wants a pinkish glow on her cheek for every event.
I’ve just recently bought this skin protect gel from Flawless Face and Body Clinic for 290 Php. Aside from wanting to have a beautiful face, a Bella also needs to protect her flawless skin from the harmful UV rays of the sun.
Stay flawless and beautiful with Shawil’s 15-hour face primer. This is the first step that Bella’s must keep in mind when applying on makeup. Face primer goes first before a liquid foundation followed by other makeup or cosmetics. With Shawil’s 15-hour face primer, a Bella can enjoy a long-lasting hour wearing her makeup.
I bought this 15-hour face primer from Watson’s at SM Aura Premier branch.
So that’s all for the sneak peek of my kikay kit, Bella’s! You can share a sneak peek of your kikay kit too! 🙂
* 2 cups rice flour
* 1 cup sugar
* 2 tbsp baking powder
* ½ tsp salt
* 1 (400 mL) can coconut milk
* 2 tbsp butter, melted
* 5 large eggs, beaten
* salted egg slices (to top)
1) To prep banana leaves: rinse banana leaves under warm water and trim away thick edges. Cut leaves into about 10-inch diameter rounds (large enough to cover bottom and sides of baking pan). Heat leaves over stove flames for a few seconds or until just softened. Line pans with leaves.
2) In large bowl, combine rice flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk together until well blended.
3) In another bowl, combine coconut milk, eggs, and butter and stir until properly mixed.
4) Divide mixture and pour into the prepared pie pans. Top with salted egg slices. Bake in a 350 F oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Garnish with desired toppings.
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting
* 2 tbsp buttermilk powder
* ½ cup water, or as needed
* 2 large eggs
* ½ cup canola oil
* ½ cup sugar
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* ¾ cup cake flour
* ½ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
* 1 tsp baking powder
* ½ tsp baking soda
* ¼ tsp salt
* ½ cup white chocolate, finely chopped
* 1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
* 1/3 cup butter, softened
* 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
* 1/8 tsp salt
1) Pre-heat oven to 325˚F. Place cupcake liner in a 12-cup cupcake pan. Set aside.
2) In a measuring cup, dissolve buttermilk powder and just enough water to make ½ cup.
3) Beat eggs, canola oil, sugar and vanilla extract together. Set aside.
4) Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in another bowl.
5) Stir in half the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Pour in butter milk mixture and gently stir to combine. Stir in remaining flour mixture.
6) Using an ice cream scoop, fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 full. Tap cupcake pan gently to release air bubbles. Place in pre-heated oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of each cupcake emerges without any crumbs.
7) Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
8) Meanwhile, make frosting: Melt white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Set aside. Whip cream cheese and butter together until light and creamy. Stir in melted chocolate. Add half the powdered sugar and whisk to combine. Add remaining powdered sugar and salt and whip until light and fluffy. Transfer to an icing bag with a large tip. Decorate cupcakes once cooled. Serve at room temperature.
*1 cup long grain white rice
* 8 cups seasoned chicken stock
* shredded chicken adobo
1) Rinse 1 cup long grain rice under running water and drain. Put rice and 8 cups seasoned chicken stock (or 2 chicken bouillon cubes dissolved in 8 cups hot water) in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat.
2) Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot partially and stir occasionally. Cook for about 1 hour or until rice takes on the consistency of porridge. Top with shredded adobo before serving. Top with soft boiled egg, if desired.
* 1 cup fresh tuna, cut into ¼ inch thick slices
* 2 tbsp barbecue marinade (or use a mix of soy sauce, ketchup and lemon juice)
* 2 large onions, chopped
* 5 cloves garlic, chopped
* ½ bell pepper, chopped
* 1 ear green chili, chopped
* black pepper powder (to taste)
* white pepper powder (to taste)
* 2-3 tbsp calamansi or lime juice
* salt (to taste)
* mayonnaise (for garnish)
* fish skin chicharon (for garnish)
1) Flake the tuna. Heat oil under medium heat and cook the garlic. Toss in half the onions and bell peppers and cook for about 1 minute.
2) Add the tuna and stir fry for about 1 minute. Season with lime juice, salt, white pepper, black pepper and barbecue sauce. Continue stirring until the liquid has reduced completely.
3) Remove from heat and cool down. Mix in the remaining onions and mayonnaise. Adjust seasoning, if needed, then garnish with fish skin chicharon.
* 100 mL cognac
* 100 mL orange liqueur
* 750 mL white wine (dry or sem-sweet)
* 750 mL champagne
* 1 pc large watermelon
* 350 grams grapes
* 1 pc peach
* 2 pcs apples
* 5 tbsp sugar
1) Cruchon has one distinctive feature: it is only served in a very chilled state. You can use different kinds of fruits, berries, or low alcohol table and sparkling wine. But never add ice, otherwise it will become very watery. This is a rule that you should always remember when you are preparing watermelon cruchon.
2) Thoroughly wash a medium-sized ripe watermelon under running water. Dry it and cut off the top. With a fine sharp knife, cut out all the red fruit and place it on a separate plate or tray. Since you will be using other fruits and other berries in addition to the watermelon, this amount will be enough to prepare double portions, which can be served in a glass jorum or a round deep salad bowl.
3) Remove the seeds from the red fruit and cut it into small pieces with a knife. If the berries are very ripe, puree them in the blender. Cut the fruits and berries into several pieces and place them into the hollow watermelon.
4) Sprinkle sugar on the fruit, stir gently and pour cold alcoholic beverages over it. Place the prepared cruchon in the watermelon in the fridge for one hour in order to thoroughly cool the dish.
5) A few minutes before serving, add some fresh or frozen cherries to the drink. They will give the cruchon a special flavor and color. If you want your drink to be less alcoholic, mix in some cold soda water.