Mushroom Ragu Spaghetti
* 3 cups dried shiitake mushrooms, 100 grams
* 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
* 1 cup red onions, diced
* 1 cup carrots, diced
* 1 cup celery, diced
* 1 ½ tsp. dried thyme
* 1 ½ tsp. dried oregano
* 2 bay leaves
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
* sugar (to taste)
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 3 tbsp. tomato paste
* 1 (800 gram) can diced tomatoes
* ½ cup fresh basil, tightly packed, plus more to garnish
* 750 grams whole wheat spaghetti, cooked according to package directions.
1) Place mushrooms in a large mixing bowl. Pour 3 cups of boiling water over and let sit for 1 ½ hours to rehydrate; reserve the liquid. Slice mushrooms thinly.
2) Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, dried herbs, salt, pepper and sugar. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic, cook for 1 minute.
3) Stir in tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add 1 cup reserved mushroom liquid and cook until thick. Add mushrooms, canned tomatoes and remaining mushroom liquid. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
4) Stir in basil and adjust seasoning to taste. Serve sauce over spaghetti noodles and garnish with basil leaves.