* 1 bottle red wine (750 mL) Merlot
* ¼ cup brandy
* 3 cups unsweetened apple cider
* ¼ cup honey
* 4 cinnamon sticks
* 1 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise
* 3 star anise
* 1 cup chopped citrus (variety)
1) In a large pot on low-medium heat, bring the wine, brandy, apple cider, and honey to a low boil.
2) Add the cinnamon, vanilla bean, cloves, and star anise. Turn down the temperature to low, and simmer for 30 minutes.
3) Just before serving add the chopped citrus. Mulled wine can be left on the stove to heat for many hours. It can also be stored in the fridge and reheated the next day.
4) I like to add a cup of mulled wine, a cinnamon stick, and some of the chopped fruit to each glass.