Mulled Wine Syrup
* 1 bottle of red wine
* 1 cup of sugar
* 3 to 4 pieces of orange peel
* 1 vanilla bean, split but not scraped
* ½ of whole nutmeg
* 2 cinnamon sticks
* 5 cardamom pods
* 2 star anise
* 3 tbsps. pink peppercorns
1) Toast the nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, cardamom, star anise and peppercorns on a pan, over medium heat, for about 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
2) Combine spices, sugar, vanilla bean and orange peel with a bottle of red wine in a medium pot.
3) Bring to boil and lower heat.
4) Reduce for 30-40 minutes until consistency is thick.
5) Chill overnight.
6) Strain into an airtight container until ready to use.