Easy Shepherd’s Pie
* 3 large potatoes (about 700 grams)
* 8 tbsp. butter, divided
* 1 onion, chopped
* 700 grams ground beef, use lean ground beef
* salt (to taste)
* pepper (to taste)
* 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
* ½ cup beef stock or water
* 1 cup spaghetti sauce (store bought meat sauce)
* 1 ½ cup frozen mixed vegetables (chopped carrots, corn, peas)
1) Peel and quarter potatoes and boil in salted water until tender, about 20 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons butter (half a stick) in a large frying pan over medium heat. Sauté onions in butter until tender.
3) Add ground beef and sauté until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper. Add Worcestershire sauce, beef stock and spaghetti sauce; cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes. Add frozen vegetables and mix well.
4) Mash potatoes in a bowl with remaining butter; season to taste.
5) Place beef and vegetable mixture in a baking dish or individual ramekins. Distribute mashed potatoes on top. Use a fork to add some texture to the potatoes; the peaks will brown nicely.
6) Cook in a 400◦F oven until bubbling and brown, about 30 minutes. Broil for a few more minutes to brown tops, if necessary.