Spiced Pork Lugaw
* 4 tbsp oil, divided
* 1 red onion, peeled, sliced
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* ½ tsp ground turmeric
* ½ tsp ground cumin, divided
* 1 tsp ginger, grated
* 2 cups glutinous rice (malagkit), rinsed
* 8 cups water, or as necessary
* ¼ kilo pork, cutlets, sliced thinly
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
1) In a medium sized stockpot over low heat, heat about 2 tablespoons oil. Add onion and garlic and sweat until translucent. Sprinkle in turmeric, half the cumin and ginger and sauté until aromatic.
2) Add rice and stir to mix with the spices, then pour in water. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Stir regularly until rice is cooked to avoid scorching and sticking. Add more water if necessary to achieve your desired consistency.
3) Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Generously season pork cutlets with salt, pepper and remaining cumin. Pan-fry pork until golden brown on both sides. Set aside and keep warm.
4) To serve, scoop lugaw into bowls, slice pork and top each bowl with pork. Serve hot.