Mango Basil Sorbet
* ½ cup sugar
* 3 tbsp fresh basil leaves
* 3 large mangoes, ripe, cubed, about 450 grams
* 6 to 8 tbsp basil syrup (recipe follows)
* 2 tbsp fresh calamansi juice
* 1 tsp calamansi zest
* pinch of salt
* 1 tbsp basil, from basil syrup
* 1 tbsp calamansi liqueur (use Manille liqueur, optional) or plain vodka (optional)
1) Make the basil syrup: Bring sugar and ½ cup water in a saucepot to a boil over medium heat; do not stir. Turn off heat and add basil leaves. Allow to cool then strain. Reserve the basil leaves and set syrup aside.
2) Puree mangoes, basil syrup, calamansi juice, zest and salt in a blender. Adjust sweetness with basil syrup to taste. (Note that sweetness will mellow once sorbet is frozen.)
3) Mix in basil leaves and liqueur, if using.
4) Pour into a freezer friendly container and freeze until solid, about 4 hours. Break it up with a spoon and puree in a blender until very smooth. Freeze again until ready to serve. Scoop sorbet into ice cream cups.