* 2 tbsp butter
* 3 Fuji apples, peeled, cored and chopped
* 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, sprinkled over peeled apples
* ¼ cup granulated sugar
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* ½ tsp ground cinnamon
* 1 cup milk
* ¼ cup sugar
* 2 eggs
* ½ cup butter, melted
* 4 cups all purpose flour
* 2 tsp instant dry yeast
* ¼ tsp salt
* canola oil (for frying)
* 1 ½ cup icing sugar
* ¼ cup warm water
* 1 tsp vanilla
1) In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add apples with vinegar, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Stir to coat apples, then let simmer until softened and liquid is absorbed. Chill until ready to use.
2) In another saucepan over low heat, dissolve sugar into milk, stirring until just warm. Let cool then whisk in eggs and melted butter.
3) Mix flour, salt and yeast together in a mixer bowl. Make a well; pour in milk mixture. Mix on low or until just combined then increase speed to medium to knead dough until smooth, about 5 minutes. The dough will be sticky. Transfer to an oiled bowl. Cover; let sit in a warm place for 2 hours, or chill overnight.
4) Turn out dough on a floured surface. Roll out dough using floured rolling pin into a rectangle about ¼-inch thick. Spread apple chunks over the center of the dough. Fold sides of the dough over the apple chunks towards the middle, and press sides closed. Use your hands to press dough out into a rectangle again; fold sides over towards the middle. Press down again to seal folds. Cut into small squares and transfer to a baking sheet with lightly floured parchment paper.
5) Heat oil to 375◦F in a deep sauté pan. Place doughnuts into the hot oil, 2-3 at a time. Using a slotted spoon, flip fritters to brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
6) Make the glaze: Mix ingredients in medium bowl until smooth. Coat doughnuts with glaze and let drip on a rack over baking sheet. Let dry before serving.