Fruit and Nut Cake
* 1 tbsp plus 2 tablespoon instant dry yeast
* 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour, plus more for work surface
* 1 cup bread flour
* ½ tsp salt
* ¾ cup butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
* ¼ cup granulated sugar
* 1 large egg
* 1 tsp vinegar
* ½ tsp vanilla extract
* 1/3 cup cream
* ¼ cup warm water, 110-120◦F
* egg wash, beaten
* ½ cup brown sugar
* ½ cup quick cooking oatmeal
* 1/3 cup all purpose flour
* ¼ cup butter, cold, cut into small pieces
* ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
* ½ cup dried cranberries
* ½ cup dried mangoes, diced
* ½ cup brown sugar
* ½ cup almonds, chopped
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Whisk yeast and salt into flours in a large bowl. Set aside.
2) In a mixer bowl on medium speed, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, vinegar, cream and then water and beat after each addition until combined. Beat in flour mixture until just mixed. Increase speed to medium until dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. The surface should be smooth. Cover and place in a warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size.
3) Meanwhile , make streusel topping: Place all ingredients in a medium bowl. Use your fingers to knead butter into dry ingredients. Chill until ready to use.
4) Make filling: In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Set aside.
5) Generously butter an 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pan. Set aside.
6) Uncover and turn out dough onto a floured surface. Punch down dough and roll out into a rectangle using a floured rolling pin. Spread filling over dough, leaving about 1 inch all around. Brush edges with egg wash. Roll dough into a log, pressing the sides to prevent filling from spilling out. Fold ends of dough under to fit into the prepared pan. Cover with towel; let rise another hour.
7) Pre-heat oven to 350◦F.
8) Uncover dough and brush top with egg. Spread streusel over top, gently pressing into dough to adhere. Bake for 45 minutes or until top is browned, covering with foil if top browns too quickly, if needed. Let cool before cutting and serving.