* 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
* 1 tbsp instant dry yeast
* ½ tsp salt
* 1 cup water
* ¼ cup sugar
* 1 egg
* 3 tbsp butter, melted
* canola oil (for frying)
1) Mix flour, salt and yeast in a bowl. Set aside.
2) In a mixer bowl, blend water, sugar, egg and melted butter on low. Add half of the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until flour is just incorporated. Add the remaining flour and mix until combined. Increase speed to medium and continue mixing dough, scraping down sides as necessary until dough is smooth, about 5 minutes.
3) Transfer dough to a large oiled bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled.
4) Remove towel and turn out onto a floured surface. Roll out dough to ¼ inch-thickness. Using doughnut cutter or a 3-inch and 1-inch cutter, cut doughnut shapes , re-rolling scraps to make more doughnuts or holes. Transfer finished doughnuts to a floured baking sheet until oil is ready for deep frying.
5) Heat oil to 375◦F in a deep sauté pan. Place doughnuts in hot oil, 2-3 at a time. Use chopsticks or back of a wooden spoon to flip doughnuts over. Use slotted spoon for cooking the holes. Fry until golden brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve doughnuts tossed or filled with your favorite flavors.