* 3 cups all purpose flour
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1 tsp salt
* 2 cups sugar
* 1 cup vegetable oil
* 3 large eggs, beaten lightly
* 2 ½ tsp vanilla extract
* 1 ¾ cups ripe bananas (lakatan), mashed
* 1 (227 gram) can crushed pineapple, including juices
* ¾ cup roasted unsalted macadamia nuts
* banana chips (to garnish)
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 cup whipping cream
* 1 cup dessicated coconut
* 1 cup roasted unsalted macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
* ½ cup butter
* 1 (225 gram) block cream cheese
* 2 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
*1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Pre-heat oven to 350◦F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch round cake pans).
2) Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Add sugar and stir to combine.
3) Add vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Add bananas, pineapples and macadamia nuts; stir to combine.
4) Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely in pans on a wire rack.
5) Make the caramel: Combine sugar and ¼ cup water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat. Stir gently until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and boil until syrup turns amber in color. Remove from heat. Add cream slowly to avoid splattering. Return to heat and stir until caramel is smooth. Remove from heat then stir in coconut and nuts. Set aside to cool.
6) Make the frosting: Beat butter and cream cheese in a bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar ; beat until fluffy. Add vanilla extract. Refrigerate for a few minutes until firm enough to spread.
7) Place one cake layer on a cake plate or cake stand. Spread a thin layer of frosting on top. Spread half of the caramel on top of the frosting. Top with the second cake layer. Spread frosting on the top and sides of the cake. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until frosting is firm.
8) Spread remaining caramel on top of the cake. Pipe remaining frosting along the top edge of the cake. Garnish with banana chips. Chill until ready to serve.