Beef Chili with Pumpkin
* 5 slices bacon, chopped
* 2 cups pumpkin, cubed into small pieces
* 1 large red onion, peeled, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
* ½ kilo ground beef
* 1 beef cube
* 1 tsp ground cumin
* 1 tsp chili powder
* 1 cup kidney beans, drained, rinsed
* 1 can pork and beans, around 230 grams
* 1 can sweet kernel corn
* cheese, grated (to serve)
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
1) Cook bacon in a medium pot until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
2) Sauté pumpkin in the bacon oil until softened. Transfer to a plate and mash thoroughly. Set aside.
3) Sweat onion and garlic in the same pot before adding the beef in the remaining oil. Sauté beef in the remaining oil. Add beef bouillon cube and mashed pumpkin. Mash pumpkin into the beef mix, then season with cumin and chili powder.
4) Stir in beans and corn. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste. Serve topped with grated cheese.