Cheesy Shrimp Chowder
* 3 tbsp oil
* 3 spanish chorizo sausages, chopped
* ½ kilo shrimps, peeled, de-veined, shells and heads removed
* 1 white onion, peeled, chopped
* ½ kilo potatoes, peeled, roughly cubed
* 1 carrot, medium sized, peeled, roughly cubed
* 3 cups water
* 1 cup sweet kernel corn
* 1 (140 grams) jar
*4 to 8 slices French bread
* 1 clove garlic, peeled, halved
* 4 tbsp butter
* 1 cup queso de bola, grated
* salt and ground black pepper (to taste)
1) In a medium pot over medium heat, heat oil. Cook chorizo until browned. Transfer to a plate. Add shrimps; cook until opaque. Transfer to a plate with chorizo. Brown reserved shrimp shells and heads in the pot. Discard shells and heads.
2) Add onion to pot. Sauté until aromatic. Add potatoes and carrots. Pour in water and bring to a boil. Simmer and cook until potatoes and carrots are tender.
3) Transfer half the mixture to a blender; puree. Return to pot together with chorizo and shrimp. Stir in corn and cheese until melted. Simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4) Meanwhile, rub cut side of garlic onto bread slices. Spread with butter on top with queso. Toast. To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Serve while hot with cheese toast.