Chicken and Chorizo Soup
* ½ cup butter
* 3 pieces chorizo, chopped
* 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
* ½ kilo chicken thigh fillets, cubed
* ½ tsp dried Italian seasoning
* ¼ cup red rice, rinsed
* ¼ cup brown rice, rinsed
* ½ cup white rice, rinsed
* 2 ½ cups water
* 1 ½ cup milk
* 1 cup malunggay leaves, rinsed
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
1) In a pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add chorizo and sauté until brown and butter turns orange from the sausage. Scoop chorizo onto paper towels and set aside.
2) In the chorizo-flavored butter, sauté onion and then garlic until both are softened. Add carrot and stir to coat with the butter. Cook until softened. Add chicken pieces and sauté until cooked through. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste and Italian seasoning. Stir to combine.
3) Add rinsed rice and stir to coat with the butter. Pour in water and half the milk and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, covered, until the rice is tender. Stir in the remaining milk and malunggay leaves and season to taste with salt and ground pepper. Let simmer until greens have wilted.
4) To serve, ladle into bowls and top with chorizo. Serve immediately.