Potato and Green Pea Chowder
* 1 (200 gram) pack bacon
* 1 kilo potatoes, peeled and cubed
* 1 small red onion, peeled , chopped
* 1 cube chicken bouillon
* 1 cup frozen , thawed
* 4 cup water
* ¼ cup sour cream
* 1 cup cheddar cheese, cubed
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
1) In a frying pan over medium low heat, cook one batch of bacon. Remove bacon and transfer to paper towels and pour bacon oil into a pot. Continue cooking remaining bacon and transferring bacon oil into the pot until all the bacon is cooked. Place on paper towels to drain excess oil, then crumble or chop into smaller pieces. Set aside.
2) Meanwhile, heat pot with bacon oil over medium heat. Add potatoes and cook until potatoes begin to turn brown and crispy at the edges. Add onion and then garlic and cook until translucent and fragrant.
3) Add bouillon cube and let dissolve into the mixture. Add peas and pour in water. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Simmer until peas are tender. Turn off heat.
4) Ladle soup into a blender and process until finely pureed. Return blended soup into the pot. Bring back to a boil. Add more water if chowder is too thick or to reach your desired consistency. Season with salt and ground black pepper let simmer another 2 minutes to let flavors meld.
5) To serve, ladle chowder into bowls. Top each bacon with bacon bits, cheese cubes and sour cream as desired.