* 3 tbsp vegetable oil
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1 whole chicken, cut into serving pieces
* fish sauce (patis)
* 1 tsp black peppercorns
* 1 can pineapple tidbits (use 8 ounce can), syrup reserved
* 2 tbsp condensed milk (or to taste)
* 1 can evaporated milk (use 370 mL can)
* 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 ½-inch cubes
* 1 medium carrot, cut into 1 ½-inch cubes
* ½ bar cheddar cheese (200 gram bar), grated
1) Heat oil in a large saucepot. Sauté onions and garlic until fragrant.
2) Add chicken and cook until brown on all sides.
3) Season with fish sauce and add peppercorns.
4) Add pineapples and syrup. Let liquid reduce and let chicken absorb the syrup.
5) Add condensed milk and evaporated milk. Simmer until thick over medium low heat, about 10 to 15 minutes.
6) Add potatoes and carrots. Cook until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes.
7) Add grated cheese and mix until cheese is melted.
8) Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot.