Spicy Chorizo Gambas
* 500 grams jumbo shrimp, peeled, de-veined
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
* olive oil (to sauté)
* 1 head garlic, cloves peeled and chopped finely
* 250 grams Spanish chorizo, sliced (use chistorra)
* ½ tsp smoked Spanish paprika, hot
* 1 tsp chili flakes (or to taste)
* 2 tsp extra virgin oil
* 2 to 3 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and chopped
1) Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2) Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add half the garlic and sauté until golden. Do not overcook. Remove from pan, strain garlic and set aside.
3) Add more olive oil to skillet over medium heat (Note: add enough to cover the bottom of the pan). When oil is hot, add the rest of the garlic and sauté until golden. Add chorizo; cook until red-orange oil is rendered and chorizo is almost cooked through, about 5 minutes.
4) Push chorizo to one side and add shrimps to the pan. Sprinkle paprika and chili flakes. Toss and cook until shrimps turn orange, about 2 to 3 minutes. Do not overcook shrimps.
5) Turn off heat. Add extra virgin and parsley; mix. Top with the strained garlic then serve immediately.