Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
* 2 cups all purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* ½ tsp salt
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 4 large eggs
* 1 ¼ cup vegetable oil
* 2 cups sugar
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 3 cups carrots, grated
* 1 cup walnuts, chopped
* walnuts, chopped (for garnish)
* ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
* 1 (225 gram) bar cream cheese, softened
* 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Pre-heat oven to 350◦F. Grease and flour 2 (6-inch) round cake pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper.
2) Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
3) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla on medium speed. Slowly add flour mixture. Add carrots and mix until combined. Do not over mix. Gently fold in walnuts using a spatula. Divide batter between evenly prepared pans.
4) Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean (check every 5 minutes after the 40 minute mark until the toothpick comes out clean). Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack and cool completely.
5) Meanwhile, make the frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and cream cheese on medium speed. Mix until smooth. Turn speed to low then slowly add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Increase speed and beat until smooth and creamy.
6) Once cakes are cooled completely, evenly cut each cake in half horizontally to make 4 layers. Place a layer on a cake plate or cake stand. Spread ¼ of the frosting evenly on top of the cake. Top with another layer and frost again. Repeat layering with remaining layers and frosting. Top cake with edible flowers or walnuts.