* 1 cup salt
* ¼ cup sugar
* 1 tsp ground black pepper, coarsely ground
* 4 cups cold water, divided
* 1 2/3 kilo whole pork belly, bones removed
* lechon sauce (to serve)
1) In a saucepan over medium heat, add salt, sugar, pepper to 1 cup water. Stir to dissolve the salt and sugar. Once dissolved, remove from heat and pour into a container (with a lid) that can hold the pork belly. Add remaining cold water. Set aside to cool completely.
2) Once cooled, place pork belly into the brine, ensuring that it’s fully submerged. Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours , up to 72 hours (3 days).
3) Pre-heat oven to 350◦F.
4) Remove pork from brine and place on a roasting pan. Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 3 hours or until the skin is crispy and the meat browned.
5) Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before carving with a sharp knife. Serve while hot with lechon sauce on the side, if desired.