Butternut Squash Cupcakes
* ½ cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
* 1 cup cream cheese , softened at room temperature
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 3 to 3 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
* 3 medium eggs
* 1 cup squash, butternut variety, pureed
* 1 ½ cup brown sugar, packed
* 1 to 2 tsp ground cinnamon or to taste
* 1 ½ tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
* 2 ¾ tsp baking powder
* ½ tsp sea salt, coarse
* ¾ cup vegetable oil
* 2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
* ¾ cup milk
1) Pre-heat oven to 350◦F. Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
2) Make the cream cheese frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip butter, cream cheese and vanilla until light and completely combined. Add 3 cups sugar and whip until fluffy. If the frosting is too loose, add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you reach your desired consistency. Set aside.
3) Portion batter among prepared cups. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
4) Frost cooled cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Refrigerate to set. Cupcakes will keep in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.