Fried Chicken a la Pobre
* 3 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed
* ¾ cup soy sauce
* 1 tsp ground black pepper
* 12 ½ kilo chicken , cut into 8 pieces
* 2 tbsp canola oil, or more (for deep frying)
* 3 cloves garlic, peeled, sliced thinly
* 1 cup all purpose flour
* 3 tbsp adobo flavored mix
* ¾ cup water
* 1 tsp vinegar
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
1) In a large bowl , combine garlic, soy sauce and ground black pepper. Season chicken pieces with salt and ground black pepper. Place chicken in soy sauce mixture, turning to coat. Cover and let marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
2) Meanwhile, make garlic chips: Heat oil in a frying pan over low heat. Add garlic chips and fry until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon and transfer onto paper towels. Set aside until ready to serve.
3) Make gravy: Whisk flour and adobo mix together. In the pan using the oil used to cook the garlic, add 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture; set aside remaining mixture for chicken. Stir to mix. Pour in water, whisking to prevent lumps. Bring to a simmer and let mixture thicken. Season with vinegar, salt and more ground black pepper to taste. Keep warm.
4) When ready to cook the chicken, heat enough oil in a deep sauté pan to deep fry chicken on medium heat. Drain marinade from chicken. Dredge chicken pieces in the seasoned flour mixture. Add chicken to the pan in batches to avoid crowding. Drain on a rack over paper towels. Sprinkle with garlic chips and serve with gravy.