Penne With Chorizo
* 1 pack penne rigate pasta, around 300 grams
* ¼ cup olive oil, divided
* 2 medium red onions, peeled
* 4 cloves garlic, peeled
* ¼ kilo pork (use ground pork)
* 1 tbsp Spanish paprika
* ¼ cup tomato sauce
* 2 tbsp vinegar
* ½ cup green olives, pitted, sliced (you may also use black olives)
* 2 ½ tbsp lemon juice
* parmesan cheese , grated (to serve)
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
1) Bring a pot of water to a boil. Salt water and pasta. Cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain, reserving about ½ cup pasta water and keep warm. Set aside.
2) Meanwhile, make chorizo: In a saute pan over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Saute 1 diced onion then 2 chopped garlic cloves until both have turned translucent. Add ground pork in a single layer to brown before stirring until cooked through. Sprinkle in paprika and add tomato sauce. Stir to combine, and let simmer until most of the liquid from the pork has evaporated. Stir in vinegar, and season to taste with salt and ground pepper. Bring to a simmer again then transfer to a plate. Set aside.
3) In the same pan, heat remaining olive oil. Cook remaining onion, sliced, then remaining garlic, sliced until translucent, then add olives. Add cooked pasta and half the lemon juice and pasta water. Toss to coat. Season to taste with more juice, salt and ground pepper. Cook until just heated through.
4) Divide pasta among 4 bowls, top with chorizo and then parmesan cheese before serving.