Gazpacho Soup with Kesong Puti Sandwiches
* 14 small tomatoes, ripe, halved, seeds removed
* 3 cloves garlic, peeled
* 1 small red onion, peeled, quartered
* 1 medium cucumber, seeds removed, chopped
* 1 medium green pepper, seeds removed, chopped
* 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, more to serve
* ¼ cup cilantro leaves (wansoy) , more to serve
* 2 tbsp coconut vinegar , or to taste
* 1 ear corn, husks removed
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
* 8 tbsp butter, softened
* 8 slices bread
* 1 block kesong puti, cut into 16 slices
* ½ cup edam cheese or queso de bola, grated
* 4 slices cheese, for sandwiches
1) In the jar of a blender, add ¼ of the tomatoes, garlic, onion and half the cucumber and peppers. Close lid and pulse until mixture is liquefied. Turn speed to medium low and in batches, add the remaining vegetables. While blending, drizzle in olive oil until mixture turns creamy. Season to taste with vinegar, salt and ground black pepper. Transfer to a container and chill until ready to serve.
2) Meanwhile, break corn in half. On a cutting board, slice kernels from the corn ear. Transfer kernels to a non-stick pan over medium heat. Stir to distribute kernels in an even layer. Cook without stirring until slightly charred. Stir and char again. Remove from heat; cool until ready to serve.
3) To make sandwiches, heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spread butter onto cut sides. Brown two slices. Flip. On one slice, place 2 kesong puti slices, edam cheese, then finally sliced cheese. Once browned, cover with cheeseless slice. Press down with a spatula to encourage melting. Remove from the pan. Repeat with remaining bread. To serve, ladle soup into bowls, top with corn and serve with grilled cheese.