Ham and Cheese Sticks
* ½ cup butter, softened, divided
* 1 small red onion, peeled , chopped
* 1 clove garlic, peeled, chopped
* 1 (250 gram) pack sweet tomato sauce
* ½ cup fresh milk
* 8 slices bread, crusts removed if desired
* 8 slices cheese
* 4 slices sweet ham
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
1) In a small stockpot over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Saute onion until translucent, then add garlic and carrot. Cook until softened and aromatic. Add tomato sauce. Stir. Remove from heat.
2) Pour mixture into a blender or mini food processor. Cover; puree until smooth. Return to the pot. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil then simmer until thickened. Set aside.
3) Spread butter on both sides of the bread slices. Top 4 bread slices with 1 cheese slice each. Layer with ham then remaining cheese. Top with remaining bread slices.
4) Heat a frying pan over medium-low heat. Grill sandwiches, pressing down with a spatula, until browned on both sides and cheese is warm enough to melt. Remove from heat, and using a bread knife, slice each sandwich into four. Serve with tomato dip.