Fried Chicken Fingers
* ½ kilo chicken breasts, sliced into strips
* 1 cup milk
* 1 tbsp vinegar
* 1 large egg
* ½ tbsp paprika
* 1 tsp ground black pepper (to taste)
* ½ tsp dried thyme, crushed
* 1 tbsp salt (or to taste)
* 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
* ½ cup cornstarch
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1 cup chicken stock
* ½ cup cream
* oil (for frying)
1) Toss chicken fillets with salt and ground pepper in a large bowl. Set aside. Mix milk and vinegar in a bowl until thickened. Beat in egg. Set aside.
2) In a deep container, combine paprika, pepper, thyme, salt, flour, cornstarch and baking powder. Taste mixture to check for seasoning and adjust. Reserve 1 heaping tablespoon. Set aside.
3) Make breading station: Arrange bowls of chicken, milk mixture and flour mixture in a row. Dip chicken strips into milk then press into flour. Transfer to a tray; repeat with remaining chicken.
4) Heat oil for deep frying in a sauté pan. Once hot, deep fry chicken strips until cooked through and golden brown. Drain on a rack over paper towels.
5) Lower heat to low. Drain oil but not the browned bits. Stir in reserved flour. Whisk in chicken stock and cool until thickened. Stir in cream and season with more salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately with chicken fingers.