Easy Spanish Chorizo
* 1 kilo pork shoulder (kasim), freshly ground
* 200 grams pork fat, freshly ground
* 4 tbsp smoked Spanish paprika
* 1 tbsp salt
* 1 tsp ground black pepper
* 1 tsp chili flakes
* 6 cloves garlic, minced
* ¼ cup dry red wine
1) Combine ground meat and fat in a large bowl.
2) Add remaining ingredients and mix gently using your hands until well combined.
3) Marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight.
4) To make skinless sausages, measure ¼-cup portions of the mixture and shape into logs. To store, wrap each sausage in parchment paper.
5) To make burger patties, measure ¾ cup (about 200 gram) portions of the mixture and shape into patties. (Note: You can also use a 5-inch metal cookie cutter to shape the patties.) To store, place parchment paper sheets between patties.
6) To cook, heat ½ tablespoon oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry sausages for about 1 to 2 minutes and the patties for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn to cook the other side for the same amount of time.
7) If serving as an appetizer, slice chorizo into 1-inch pieces. Alternatively, you can serve them with whole garlic rice and a fried egg on the side.
8) To make chorizo burgers, spread butter on the inside of each bun. Toast until warm. Spread 1 to 2 teaspoons garlic mayonnaise on the inside of each bun. Place 1 to 2 lettuce leaves and 1 chorizo patty on the bottom half of each bun. Top each with 1 to 2 tablespoons caramelized onions then cover with the top bun halves. Serve hot.