Pinoy Style Crispy Fried Chicken
* 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
* 2 bay leaves
* 1 bunch leeks, green part only
* 4 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 (1.2 kilo) whole chicken, washed, cleaned, patted dry, and seasoned with salt all over cavity
* 2 tbsp fish sauce (patis) , divided
* canola oil , to deep fry (prepare enough to cover ¾ of the chicken)
* banana ketchup (to serve)
1) Fill a steamer with water. Add peppercorns, bay leaves, leeks and garlic. Cover and bring to a boil.
2) Reduce heat and bring water to a slow boil. Place whole chicken on the steamer basket and cover. Steamer for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through.
3) Remove chicken from steamer and brush all over with half of the fish sauce, including the cavity. Let cool, then brush again with remaining fish sauce.
4) Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Deep fry chicken, making sure at least half of it is submerged in oil, until skin is golden brown and crispy, about 20 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve with banana ketchup.