Chocolate and Orange Bundt Cake
* 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
* 1 tbsp baking powder
* 1 tsp baking soda
* ½ tsp salt
* zest, from 2 large navel oranges, plus more to garnish
* 1 cup sour cream
* ½ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
* 1/3 cup orange liqueur or rum
* 1 ½ cups butter, unsalted, softened
* 1 ½ cups sugar
* 4 large eggs
* 1 cup candied orange peel, chopped
* 1 cup dark chocolate, chopped
* ¾ cup orange juice, unsweetened, fresh or store-bought
* 3 tbsp orange liqueur
* 2/3 cup caster sugar
* 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
* 2 tbsp orange liqueur
* 1 large navel orange, zest only
1) Pre-heat oven to 350˚F. Lightly grease and flour the inside of a 10 ½-inch Bundt pan.
2) Whisk flour, baking powder , baking soda, salt and orange zest in a medium bowl until combined. In another bowl, combine sour cream, orange juice and liqueur or rum. Set aside.
3) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix butter and sugar on medium high speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Turn speed down to low and add eggs one at a time, making sure the mixture is completely combined before adding more. Scrape down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
4) With the mixer on the lowest speed, alternately add the flour mixture in three parts and the sour cream mixture in two parts, starting and ending with the flour mixture. As soon as the batter is combined, turn off mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Fold in candied peel and dark chocolate.
5) Pour mixture into prepared pan, spreading evenly with a spatula. Lightly tap the pan on a flat surface to remove air bubbles. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 15 to 20 minutes or until just warm to the touch. Carefully turn out cake onto a wire rack set on top of a baking sheet.
6) Meanwhile, make the syrup: Mix together orange juice, liqueur and sugar in a small bowl until sugar has dissolved.
7) Carefully drizzle orange syrup over the slightly warm cake, distributing evenly throughout. Cool completely.
8) Meanwhile, make the orange glaze: Stir all ingredients until smooth but not too stiff. Drizzle glaze over cake. Garnish with orange zest.