* 2 tbsp vegetable oil
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 2 tbsp ginger, minced
* 1 medium onion, minced
* 1 kg beef brisket, cut into cubes
* 4 cups water
* ¼ cup soy sauce
* 2 pieces star anise
* ¼ cup white sugar
* 1 piece beef cube
* 1 tsp black pepper
* 3 tbsp green onion, finely chopped
* salt (to taste)
1) In a pot, sauté garlic and ginger until brown. Add the onions and cook until translucent.
2) Stir in the beef and cook for 5 minutes or until meat turns brown.
3) Add water, soy sauce, star anise, sugar, beef cube, pepper, and salt. Cook over low heat until meat is tender then allow beef stew to simmer until the sauce thickens.
4) Garnish with scallions. Serve atop a bowl of hot rice, if preferred.