* 1 ½ tbsp calamansi juice
* 3 tbsp soy sauce
* ground black pepper (to serve)
* 600 grams chicken, cut to serving pieces
* 2 tbsp canola oil
* 1 tbsp butter
* 1 ½ cups potato, cut into 1-inch cubes
* 2 tbsp garlic, chopped
* 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
* 1 piece bay leaf
* 1 ½ cups tomato sauce
* 2 tsp white sugar
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
1) Combine calamansi juice, soy sauce, pepper and chicken. Mix well. Marinate, refrigerated for 1 hour.
2) Heat oil and butter in a wok over medium heat. Fry chicken for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until light golden brown in color. Remove chicken from the wok and let drain on paper towels. Option to remove excess fat from the wok.
3) In the same wok, fry potatoes for 2 to 3 minutes. Add onions, garlic, peppercorns, bay leaf and continue to sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Pour in the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer, bring the chicken back to the wok and simmer for 3 to 6 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Season to taste with salt and pepper.